Friday 18 October 2013

SFFSat 19/10/2013

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here.


This week's snippet is again from Sorrel Snowbound, and carries on from last week's extract. Sorrel has reached the surface. A steamcar has chugged up the hill towards her...


The two men sitting uncomfortably in the leather chairs were both in some kind of blue-grey uniform. As the chugging monstrosity drew towards me, I stood to one side to let it past.

It didn't, of course. The man in front hauled on a lever, and bellowed something at his colleague. Said colleague also yanked at a lever and twisted a large wheel, and the trike slowed. The high-pitched screech of metal binding on metal that put my teeth on edge confirmed my assumptions about the quality of its engineering. Brakes didn't need to make that sort of noise. It did grind to a halt, though, and engulfed me with foul-smelling smoke and fumes. I watched it, wondering if it would start to roll backwards down the hill again. To my surprise, it didn't.



Next time we will find out what befalls our heroine at the hands of these dubious newcomers...

As always, all comments will be gratefully received!

No comments:

Post a Comment