Friday 4 October 2013

SFFS 5-10-13

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here.


This week's snippet is again from Sorrel Snowbound (with a slight tweak to add the cue-word for the week). Sorrel survived her short flight on a boulder (see last week's snippet) and has reached the surface. She now has to decide what to do next.


I had to go north, to get moving and find out where I was. With a little luck, I could hitch a lift on a cart or a steamcar. Get into familiar surroundings, and get myself to Werintar, and go from there to the aerodrome. What could possibly go wrong? 

My twisted, evil subconscious instantly came up with a detailed list, complete with graphic illustrations and even some sound effects. Sunstroke, robbers, starvation, dragons, fevers, runaway traction engines, broken bridges, snowdrifts, fires, crashing aeroplanes, earthquakes, lightning strikes, hallucinations... 

I began to chuckle, my mood lifting as my imagination came up with increasingly improbable perils. I had faced everything the Chasm could throw at me. Down there, they had real monsters – ruzdrool, graalur, lloruk, scortuliqs. If I could handle them, I could put the boot to the surface threats, no trouble. 


    Overconfident? Sorrel? Never...

    Comments, as always, are very welcome! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment