Thursday 15 January 2015

SFFSat 17/1/2015 Sorrel in Silver

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here. 


Sorrel in Silver is now on sale on Amazon! This snippet carries on from last week - Wrack and Starron, another dragonlord are locked in combat in Wrack's Great Hall - Sorrel is watching from concealment on the gallery above.




Blood welled from the savage gash. Wrack twisted sharply and flung himself to one side. Starron tore at the membrane of Wrack's wing with a claw, but Wrack slammed his head into the other dragon's chest and sent Starron staggering away, blood spattering across the carvings on the wooden pillars. A moment later the red dragon plowed into him again, head swinging sideways as he hammered against Starron's dark blue scales like a croquet mallet hitting a soft toy. The pair disappeared beneath me. There was a heavy impact against one of the pillars holding up the gallery. The wooden slats below me jolted and I froze, afraid the whole structure would come crashing down. A flicker of orange fire momentarily lit up the entire chamber; now I was terrified of being barbecued. Below me, Wrack's voice rang out, tinged in fury. 'Volg it, Starron! Trying to burn my house down?'
I grabbed the chance to shuffle back and left towards the door. I was confident Wrack had the upper hand. The fact that Starron had resorted to breathing fire suggested Starron thought so, too. His inarticulate, strangled response to Wrack's anger suggested Wrack wasn't letting Starron breathe fire – or air, for that matter.

As always, comments appreciated.


14 comments:

  1. Yeah, if I was him, I'd be getting out of there and quick...no good comes from falling to your death or getting barbequed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely - not healthy being around fighting dragons.

      Delete
  2. What's worse than a fighting dragon? Two fighting dragons. Let's hope he gets the opening he needs to get out of there. It sounds like it's really heating up in there. No pun intended - okay - pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victory! Hopefully with home intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a little scorched paintwork, but basically intact, fortunately!

      Delete
  4. Definitely got the sense of how fierce this fight was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I'd be scarpering too. Being barbecued doesn't sound like any fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if Sorrel would cautiously push a hamburger into range and get herself lunch... ;-)

      Delete
  6. Crushing or burning - what a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had to choose between being barbecue or a pancake, I'd choose none of the above. Get out of there!

    ReplyDelete