Thursday 22 January 2015

SFFSat 24/1/2015 Sorrel in Silver

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here. 


This is another snippet from Sorrel in Silver. Last week I posted a dangerous battle between dragons. This week's battle isn't quite so serious. My heroine is standing in the snow, talking to an engineer, Jordil, about work on her snowbound aeroplane...


I lifted my hand and opened my mouth, intending to say that I could help, when something slammed into the back of my neck. I staggered, turned, and a second snowball hit the side of my face. Ten yards away stood Kelhene, a real grin on her face, hefting a third snowball. Jordil laughed. I bowed to the inevitable and dived sideways so that Kelhene's third missile missed. My hands scooped up a decent missile of my own, and I flung myself in pursuit of the blonde woman.
We spent a wonderful half hour chasing each other around the mansion's formal gardens, pelting one another with snow, diving for cover behind hedges and defenceless statues. All right, so we were being childish. So what? We had fun. And Kelhene actually smiled and laughed.
By the time we retreated indoors we were both shivering, soaked by melted snow, our fingers blue from cold and our faces flushed. We thawed out in front of the fire in the small retiring room, with the aid of a glass of brandy apiece and some more laughter.


As always, comments appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. So we're moving the fight from fire to snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorrel tends to get into fights easily - fortunately, this one isn't quite so life-threatening!

      Delete
  2. It's good to take a break from all the action and drama from time to time. All adventure and no play makes a hero rather dull...let me rethink that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!

      Adventurers need their downtime - the problem is making their R&R interesting for the reader.

      Delete
  3. Who doesn't love a good snowball fight?

    ReplyDelete