Friday 4 April 2014

SFFSat 5/4/14

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here. 


This time, I'm putting up a snippet from Sorrel in Silver, the third volume in Sorrel's saga. Sorrel is in an aerial duel with an acid-spitting snarq. She ducked into a column of smoke, just as the brute's spittle connected.



I hauled back on the stick. An unwise inhalation of smoke made my lungs burn. Beside me, over the roar of the engines, I could just hear Kelhene coughing, too. The Cygnet was climbing, and the cockpit was suddenly awash with light again from the nearest lantern tree. I stared round us wildly, trying to spot any of the snarqs – or Wrack.
Four of the acid-spitting brutes had soared into the air as we neared the burning ruins of Telzanrik. Wrack had peeled off instantly and dived towards the first of the blue horrors. I'd barbecued a second with a blast of fire from the magerealm moments later – no way I was letting Wrack have all the credit for the kills – before the third one had swung around behind us. The smoke from the inferno below us was coating the wings with soot; but the canvass on the upper right wing was a nasty shade of yellow, the doped cloth disintegrating as I watched. If the acid went on eating into the aeroplane we were in real trouble.


  As always, comments welcomed!

6 comments:

  1. Ah, I do love airplanes! But I like them more in one piece. I bet Sorrel does too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. So far, Sorrel's success rate in keeping aeroplanes intact is not great... but she's hoping the Cygnet is going to last a bit longer.

      Delete
  2. Nothing like an acid bath to ruin a perfectly good flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blame those evil lloruk, who are (ir-)responsible for the snarqs.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic detail and descriptions. I caught myself coughing right along with Sorrel...but that could have been the congestion I still haven't been able to shake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Sorry, I don't mean to inflict pain and discomfort on my readers - I save it for my characters...

      Delete