Friday 14 December 2012

SFFSat 15/12/2012

 


 This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here.

This snippet carries on almost directly from last week's events. Sorrel has picked a fight with three graalur. One, nicknamed Crest, is dead. One is tackling the woman Sorrel was trying to rescue. The third, unimaginatively named Three, is still thoroughly alive, much to Sorrel's dismay.

Once again I've asked my heroine not to use such bad language, but Sorrel doesn't take any notice of what I say...
 

His next blow was low and twisting, beautifully timed and controlled. Volg it, the squumer was good! I brought my sword up, catching his motion, barely edging it aside and leaving myself with no way to hack back. I retreated, trying to remember where Crest's body was - the last thing I wanted was to fall over him. Three, of course, wanted nothing else for me. He was grinning, breathing fast, the sword moving in small circles as he bore down upon me. And somewhere there was the other graalur - it didn't sound as though the woman was keeping him occupied. I was in trouble. Again.


 Comments welcomed!

16 comments:

  1. I'm always impressed with fight scenes where multiple assailants are at play. You handled the challenge well.

    :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the trouble is, Sorrel never picks on just one opponent.

      Delete
  2. So the bad language was the four lettered word in the first line?? Nice snippet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volg and squum - dreadful crudities, I know. She says lafquas sometimes, too. Me, I never use that sort of volging language...

      Delete
  3. The rhythm of this is fantastic and the action and humor has continued to work in tandem so well. A fun read for sure, naughty words aside. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really appreciate the encouragement, as I'd stalled on Sorrel Snowbound (fatigue from trying to do too much) - all your comments help get me writing again.

      Delete
  4. This is a fun read. I like the tongue-in-cheek tone and you pace it well. Sorrel had definitely captured my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorrel has a bad tendency to nick anything not nailed down. I'll try and wrest your interest away from her and give it back. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Great snippet. Volg it - I must use that instead of the usual swear words, lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my ambitions is to get "volg" into general useage - thanks!

      Delete
  6. She seems to have a penchant for getting into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. The purpose of a hero (of either sex) is to get into trouble and get out of it again in interesting ways.

      Delete
  7. Does she get into trouble, or does trouble find her? Nice snippet!

    None from me this week... next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of both - she wouldn't admit that she looks for trouble, but once trouble finds her she is very willing to fling herself into the midst of it.

      I'm looking forward to seeing more of Denis next time.

      Delete
  8. Volg it! As long as swears are invented they are fine. I've had to invent a few of my own. BTW: My snippet is on my blog but alas I have forgotten to submit it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My preference is for invented oaths. Seen and enjoyed your snippet, BTW.

      Delete